Saturday, September 13, 2008

Marriage Advice

To be honest, I was quite surprised when I answered the phone. I generally don't answer numbers I don't recognize, but I decided at that moment to change that. This decision brought me perhaps one of the most surreal moments of my life. On the other line was a voice I had never expected to hear again. He called me to tell me he was asked to write a column on the ideal divorce. Since he was about to be married, he thought this was a strange request, and wanted some information on me. His previous marriage had not worked out well, despite parenting several children. He was cordial, as always, and we caught up on our lives quickly. There really wasn't much for me to say, since I've just been working every day. He said that my "divorce" was probably the closest to ideal that he knew of, since we didn't fight anymore. This was a true fact, largely because his daughter and I were no longer on speaking terms. It was hard for me to explain to him that this wasn't actually ideal to me. Rather, it just seemed like the necessary logical step for the two of us to proceed in life.

No comments: