Monday, September 15, 2008

End of the Basketball Game

It was the final seconds of the game. The team was up by one, but we just got ourselves into a "1 and 1" situation. If they made both baskets, we would lose the game. It's one of those situations you hate to get into when you're a coach. They lined up down at the foul line. Swish... Damn. Tied game. "Time Out!" I yell to the ref. It's one of those tricks used to rattle the shooter. Make him sweat it out a bit and feel the pressure. We'd only have one shot at this, so this is where it all came down to it. I took out my dry erase board and everyone gathered around. "Okay, we can not let them get this rebound. I want you and you under the basket hitting those boards hard. Brian, Rich. You two will line up at half-court. Sam, I want you to line up at mid-court and when the shot goes up to run toward the basket for a long pass. Everyone got it?" I got a few nods out of them, which was all I expected. "Okay, everyone in."

No comments: