Monday, October 13, 2008

Inconsistent Future's Morning

It was late October, and the mornings were starting to get cold. So, we slept in fairly late. Her hair was black again. Perhaps, it's governed by the weather, after all. Still, I was slightly surprised to see her sleeping next to me, but I've grown to accept that irregularities of life. We lied in bed and talked softly for awhile. Since it was late morning, I decided that Sparky, my Australian sheepherder, should be let outside. We got up and put on the the same clothes we had yesterday. I made a pot of coffee. The warm cups felt good in our hands. I couldn't stop staring at her, everything seemed so surreal. She seemed happy, too. I grabbed a ball, and we walked outside, with Sparky racing past us, excited as always to be going outside. I threw the ball out into the yard. He zoomed after it. The ball barely had enough time to hit the ground. I always enjoyed throwing the ball through the leaves to watch him go crashing through the piles. She went to the other side of the yard to catch the ball, causing Sparky to race back and forth between us. The mailman came and Sparky quickly lost interest in the game, running towards the gate to try to get the mailman. He was slightly surprised by the dog, and asked me if he would bite. I said, probably not, but I didn't really want to find out. She stayed in the yard while I pulled Sparky back. She was a vision as the wind swept by causing her hair to flow about as the golden leaves floated past her. A beautiful morning.

No comments: