Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Molly

I see you naked in the bath
Cigarette stains on your hands
Wilted flowers in a vase
I ask how are you
Ya, how are you?

I see your lipstick on the glass
I think you're drunk and start to laugh
I find your note
The letters ran
It said 'I loved you'
Ya, "I loved you"

Don't ask why
(Sixteen candles down the...)

I watch you passed out for awhile
I touch your face, you start to smile
And on your note is my reply
"I wish I loved you"
Ya, I wish I loved you

But, don't ask why

Sixteen candles down the drain

- Sponge


This song has always been a very important song to me. Don't ask why, but I woke up every morning in the summer of '02 listening to this song. The summer of '02 was arguably the worst period of my life (only rivaled by the summer of '07). But, it's that feeling of "I wish I loved you" that is so important in this song. Because, it comes both ways. The feelings we had, and may be gone. The feelings that, if we only could have them, would make our life so much better. It's a strange realization to come across. If you could be a different person, you'd be better off. If you could only love that person...

It reminds me of coming over and finding her drunk. After being away for so long, you just want to know how she is. And you pick her up from wherever she's fallen over. You don't ask why, you just do it. But, perhaps, that's what you're supposed to do, after all. You're not supposed to ask why. You're not really supposed to understand. And, I honestly don't. I know I never will. It has stopped bother me, but I still wish I did. And, you might feel like it's all been wasted. Like there's so much time just flushed away, but that's not really the point either.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is, wherever and whomever you find yourself as, don't ask why. Just do what you know you have to do. And, it may break your heart, but it's still the right thing to do. And love when you can love. And when you can't love, wish you could.

No comments: